Saturday, September 15, 2012

N.H.Boston.Dub.Kerry-Here I Go

Tomorrow I start my next big adventure! My three week vacation from the working world is coming to a close. Vermont has been a whirlwind of friends, family, animal therapy and laughter. I made a point to reconnect with old friends whom I haven't had the chance to see since I moved to Boston, and couldn't be happier with that decision. The visits were all way to short, but I know I will see them and we will always pick up where we left off. Until then I forge alone going down the road of no pay, stress, and lack of sleep they call service work and can not wait.
I recently sat down with a grandfather figure I've known most of my life who asked me where I get my drive to do service work, it's not an easy job and there is hardly any money in it. I said partially to figure out what I want to do, as I don't know, but also I want meaning in my life, a job that is fulfilling for myself as well as hopefully making a small difference in some one else's life. That is what's hard about service work, you never know if the people you work with will actually remember in ten years. You have to try to not forget that you are making a difference. It's a constant struggle for me but I try to not dwell and take every experience (good or bad) and look at it as a learning opportunity. A big moment for me was accepting that I had to buy Carhart work pants. For most Vermonters this is standard. I don't really scream Vermont at heart so this is a big moment. Saying that I will be spending my days outside gardening and working on a farm it makes complete sense but they are far from fashionable. So pictures will follow with me wearing them. A big event that set me up for buying these pants was having to cut down a tree using a handsaw that had fallen in a storm blocking me and my friend in her driveway. The fact that two girls did this was huge and we both bragged for the day about our triumph. Great feeling, I suggest all women to cut a tree using a handsaw. Now a little about where I will be moving. It's the furthest southwest you can go in the country of Ireland, known as the Dingle Peninsula, I will be just outside of the town of Dingle. It is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It has been my dream to get the chance to live on the water. This year I get to fullfil that dream. Yes, it is so different from anything else I've ever done, but if not now when! This is the furthest I've lived from home for this amount of time. A big thanks to my amazingly supportive family and friends for their constant encourage and support. love.

No comments: