Monday, September 29, 2008

Fall is here!

This past weekend being my first weekend in the city without needing to go to some orientation thing was nice, but I wanted to do something fun, so at 10:30 I got a phone call from my friend Jenn saying want to go to Liverpool tomorrow (Saturday)? I said sure. Liverpool is of course well known because of the Beatles. We got on a bus at 8:45 am the next morning and was there in 50 minutes. The main reason we wanted to go was because there was a huge international art festival called Liverpool Biennial (http://www.biennial.com/). We went to three museums of contemporary artists. It was incredible some of the imaginations these people have. We went to the well known museum called the Tate. We then went down to the water, where we were both surprised to smell the sea. The city of Liverpool has amazing architecture and proceeded to blow two roles of film on the amazing buildings. Those pictures will be up soon. After exploring the city we went out to dinner at China town and then went out with some locals to a bar before heading home.


This weekend I also went to explore a near by
park called Birchfield park. It was a surprisingly
nice day out, so I took my digital and my friend
Jenn and we went and explored this vast
park.


this was the play ground that is at the entrance. I have observed that European play grounds are so much more fun then American. At this particular park, there was a number of things that spun, and those crazy one person sea horse contraptions that are fun at any age I've found.

We found that this lovely place had hidden secrets that you might not see if you just drive by. One was this typical British landscape.
Yes that's right the typical row of trees lining a road. I personally love this landscape. What also made is special was that there were fallen leaves, which reminded me of Vermont again. I miss the changing leaves a lot. Jenn and I made quite a scene trying to make the leaves crackle under our feet. It didn't work out very well.





This weekend we also met up with our Australian friends who had problems finding a home and it had been a long time since we'd scene them. We decided to meet them at a local bar called the Footage. This is a really cool place they have these huge TVs that when they aren't playing sports you can text the number on the screen and text something to someone that's in the bar. Its kind of crazy the things that get written but its really fun to sit and read the crazy and sometimes inappropriate things that get texted.




School is now in session. The official term has begun. However, its not the same layout as in the states I found out when I went to schedule my classes. They are very laid back and just want you to have fun. I was worried about my credits transfering and having a good schedule and they just kept saying, why are you worrying, just have a good time. It will be weird to make that change. But they have already assigned a really intense project. We have to enter into the Nikon Discovery Awards with BJP 2008. We have to enter in a portfolio of 2-20 photos on a disc and the one printed photo. All very professional or they won't look at it at all. they told us to research the judges, what they like, and research the past winners. I also now have to keep a journal of everything related to photography. In terms of potential ideas for shoots and why. This is a new concept, but I'm excited to get started. The image I will leave you with is one at dinner time of Manchester that I took after dinner with Caitlin and Jenn.

Have a great week :)

Love

1 comment:

Livia said...

Hello Eslie!
It's great to read your blog. Cool pictures, and I also envy the experiences. Traveling abroad is sooo much fun. Just be careful, don't get stuck there :-)
Oh, and if you happen to run into Alan Rickman, give him my warmest regards ;-)
Cheers,
Livi